Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My son is AWESOME!!

He wrote this essay for school and I wanted to share:


My personal experience By: Braiden Butler

How many of you enjoyed watching the Olympics on TV that were held in Beijing, China? The Olympics are for people who want to compete and who have worked a long time to get in shape for the event. I had an experience this summer that was both memorable and exciting. I was in the the Rexburg Special Olympics that was held at Brigham Young University- Idaho in June of this summer.

When I found out that there was going to be a competition that I could participate in, I was ecstatic. Even though my legs don't work like other people, I could still swim and use my upper body muscles to move in the water. I was born with cerebral palsy which means my legs muscles never developed properly. I can stand for a little while with my walker for support, but I get tired easily. There are very few sports that I can participate in.

I had only two weeks to prepare for this event. I would go up to the college to practice swimming a few times. The water was cold until I warmed up with movement. My dad supported me by taking me to the pool and my mom gave me encouraging words. At the college there is a lift that helped me in and out of the pool. I was grateful for that tool to use.

When the day of the Special Olympics came, I was nervous. My dad sat me down and told me he was so proud of me. His eyes moistened. I didn't know if I would do OK or not but it made me feel good that he told me that. My grandma also came to seem me compete and she was really scared that I mi ght drown because she has never seen me swim. The pool was calm. We were set in our places. I took a deep breath. Boom! We started down the course. I was actually swimming in the 15 meter and then the 25 meter races. My friends on the football team whooped it up! I won a bronze metal in both meets. The bronze ribbon was for third place. My coach wanted me to compete in State but I had other commitments.

Although I didn't take first place, I was still a winner in my family's and friend's eyes. I followed my dream. It showed me that i can compete in a sport and that people do care. I am so glad I went for it. It gave me purpose and motivation. And it was fun to scare my grandma!




He soooo rocks!!!

No comments: