Monday, June 25, 2007

My Grandpa

My grandfather was like my dad. Growing up, my dad wasn't around. My mom was a single parent with 3 kids. Her first husband killed in a car accident and my father was a pos.

We lived 2 blocks from them the whole time we were growing up. My mom worked non stop and so when we needed anything major or unless it was an ER moment, it was my grandparents who took care of us. If we fought, they would come over and break us up. If we got hurt, they would come check on us. No matter what, they were always there. We were at there house almost every night for dinner and almost every weekend, my sister and I would stay the night.

My grandpa did all the daddy daughter stuff with me and my sister and he taught my brother all the manly things. We would go fishing, camping, picnic's, shopping. In the winter, our favotite thing was when my grandpa would hook the sleds to the back of his truck and pull us down the back roads. My grandma always kept a thermos of hot chocolate in the cab so we could take turns getting warm. Bike rides were also a big thing. When I was 4, riding on the back of my moms bike in a kiddie seat, I caught my foot in the spokes. I ended up riding home in the basket on the front of my grandpa's bike.. I completly forgot about my foot on the ride home because of the pain of sitting in the basket. I did break my ankle and had a dandy of a time trying to walk on crutches. I remember my mom getting mad at me because I would crawl rather then mess with the crutches.

Now it's our time to be there for them but not everyone has came forward. My grandfather was just diagosed with lymph node cancer and we also found out that it's spread into one of his lungs. He's 78 and has been sick for quit awhile. It took Dr #5 to diagnose it and also a surgery that wasn't needed. In the meantime, he's lost tons of weight and is completly miserable. They just barly got him his oxygen yesterday so he could leave the house. He's had it at home but he's been confinded to home since he's had such a hard time breathing.

He has started his chemotherapy today but had a big scare yesterday. He didn't know what was wrong but he didn't feel right. He had called my mom to take him to the ER and he didn't tell my grandma. When my mom showed up, my grandma asked her if she was going for a ride and my mom said yes, we are taking dad to the hospital. My grandma got very upset that my grandpa didn't say anything. In my grandpa's mind, he was done. He was going to the hospital and he was dieing. He wasn't going to be doing chemo or anything else and he didn't want to tell my grandma what was on his mind.

At the hospital, they found out my grandpa had fluid on his lungs, there was over a gallon there. They drained it and he felt 10x better. He could actually talk with out coughing himself silly, he could walk through his house without loosing breath. He also ate for the first time in months. He said he felt better about going into chemo today. He was really scared to do the chemo feeling the way he did.

He will do 6 hrs straight of chemo today and then in 3 weeks, he'll do 6 more hours. If he can handle it, he'll do more chemo.

I pray that not only will get over this but that he doesn't have a tough time of doing it.

No comments: